Bread upma is a flavourful and delicious dish made using bread. It can be prepared for breakfast or served as an evening snack. We usually add only potatoes in this recipe, but you can add peas, carrots or any other vegetable of your choice.
8 slices of bread cut into small squares
8 green chillies
1 large onion chopped
1 large potato cut into small cubes
2 tomatoes sliced
5 tbsp oil
½ tsp mustard seeds
12 curry leaves
1 tbsp pav bhaji masala
¾ tsp salt
Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Take the potatoes in a pan, add water and a pinch of salt and boil the potatoes till they are cooked. Drain away the excess water and keep the boiled potatoes ready.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a thick bottomed pan and saute the bread slices for a few minutes till they turn golden in colour.
- Transfer the slightly roasted slices to a plate and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in the same pan and add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Once the mustard seeds have stopped sputtering, add the onions and saute till the onions turn golden.
- Next add the sliced tomatoes and cook till they turn soft.
- Now add the boiled potatoes and mix well.
- Add green chillies, pav bhaji masala, salt and coriander leaves and mix well.
- Cook for a couple of minutes till the green chillies turn soft .
- Now reduce heat and add the bread slices.
- Sprinkle a few drops of water on top and close a lid.
- Cook on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Open the lid, and if steam comes out then the bread upma is ready.
- Switch off the gas and mix the upma well.
- Serve hot.