After buying an otg (oven toaster and grill) the first thing that most beginners want to know is how to use it. As some otg manuals do not come with a recipe book, using an otg for the first time appears difficult. To ease out this problem, I have given a brief introduction on how to use an OTG and also a few recipes. Even though there are several brands available, the basic designs and accessories that come with an otg are similar. Hence you can compare the information given below with your brand of otg.Since we use a Prestige otg, (and are quite happy with it) the information given here is related to it.
The first thing to do after buying your otg is to read the manual completely. This will give you a brief idea about how to operate it, clean it, the precautions to be followed, the accessories provided, and other basic information.
Introduction to the otg and its accessories
An otg is usually provided with 3 shelves or racks and 3 knobs to adjust the temperature, heating positions and time.
• Temperature control knob - To adjust the temperature of the oven. The maximum temperature that can be set is 250 degrees Celsius.
• Function knob- There are usually 4 heating rods provided in an otg, two above and two below. (Some small sized otgs have 2 rods). The function knob is used to select one from the 6 heating options. They are upper heating, lower heating, both upper and lower heating, rotisserie with upper heating, rotisserie with lower heating and rotisserie with both upper and lower heating.
• Time control knob – The time control knob is used for setting the time. The time can be set according to the dish that you are making. E.g. while cakes take 25 to 35 minutes to bake, cookies can be baked in about 15 to 20 minutes or less. The maximum time that can be set in most ovens is 60 minutes.
• Grill rack:
This is used to remove the hot grill rack and baking tray from the oven.
The skewers can be used to prepare kababs, tikkas, grill small pieces of chicken or cubes of paneer and vegetables. During the grilling process, the skewers have to be turned once in a while to ensure uniform cooking.
• Rotisserie handle
After using the rotisserie spit for grilling, the hot rod can be removed from the oven using this handle.
1. Cake pans, preferably aluminium cake pans to make cakes and brownies.
2. Loaf pan to make breads
3. An aluminium tray to make cookies. Even though the baking tray can be used for this purpose, an aluminium tray is best suited for baking cookies.
4. Muffin and tart moulds
The heating mode to be set and the placement of the tray
Before baking or grilling anything, preheating the oven is a must. The oven has to be preheated for at least 10 minutes.
Even though any of the three racks can be used, we always prefer to use the central rack of the otg with both the upper and lower rods ON as it provides uniform temperature and aids in even cooking. Placing the tray in the lower rack might result in burnt up cakes if you do not adjust the correct time and temperature while placing it on top will result in a roasted effect on top with the inner side not being cooked. Hence for beginners it is better if you play it safe as you do not want a disaster in your first experience with baking.
Temperature to be set while baking/grilling
The temperature depends on the size of the oven and brand; it is only with practice that we can gauge the correct temp of our oven. It took us several burnt cakes and biscuits to come up with this list. It works best for our Prestige Otg and might work for yours as well.
Cakes: between 150 to 180 degrees C depending on the recipe
Cookies/ Biscuits: Generally 180 degrees C
Pizza: 200 degree C
Grilling/ Roasting: Maximum temperature 250 degrees C
For baking, roasting and grilling we always use the central rack of our oven and use both the upper and lower rods to get uniform temperature.
- Follow the recipe accurately
- Take care while setting up the time and temp for the oven as it varies from oven to oven.
- Always keep a close watch when you are making it for the first time.
- Always use a thick hand glove and do not touch the surface of the oven as you can easily get burns if you do not handle your trays and cake pans with caution.
This is just a brief outline, more information on how to use an otg oven will be added soon. I have tried my best to give clear information, but I am not an expert in this. Hence it is advised to always use your discretion while following the information provided here and while trying out any of the recipes mentioned below.
You can also check out
OTG recipes page.